Wednesday 26 September 2012

Running in Winter

I'm trying to get back in to running. Last semester in college was just so hectic that I had to give up almost all my hobbies. Some are easier to get back into than others. Some people have told me that it's easier to get back into running in the summer months, but I disagree. I love running in the winter; I love the cold and the dark. I suppose in Ireland, despite popular thoughts to the contrary, we are lucky in that we don't get very harsh winters; this makes it easier to get out there on a dark evening.

I think I like it better than summer running because I started running in winter, so have fond memories of dragging myself about the place under the cloak of darkness. Also, I prefer cold weather for running. It doesn't take long to warm up, whereas in warm weather I run out of steam very quickly. I tend not to feel the cold too badly and wear almost the same clothes all year round (maybe that's my problem!).


Wrap up and enjoy
 When I started writing this blog, I researched other blogs - and found lots! One I liked was completerunning.com. It suits for all levels of runner (not just ironman or marathon contestants). There is an article on the site about running in the winter, and the author has similar reasons to me as to why he likes it. The author is Canadian, so the winters he talks about are slightly colder and have more snow than us (stay away Irish snow!), but I agree with her that there are far fewer people outside and everything seems a little bit nicer and more still (though living in Dublin city, things never really stop or look THAT nice I guess!). My ultimate favourite reason, though, is that nobody can see you! That keeps me going when I have gone purple, have to stop because I have a stitch or just need a little break, or when I feel like I'm huffing and puffing through every step. I know I shouldn't care, but I do, so I'm going to relish getting back into it now that the evenings are dark...and getting darker :)

Don't look like this guy!
There are varying degrees of added precaution required when running in the dark depending on where you're running though. You don't want to fall over and get hurt, injure yourself unnecessarily or put yourself in danger. Here are some tips on nighttime\ winter running:
  • if the route you're planning to run doesn't have adequate public lighting (I wouldn't rely on the moon and stars myself), it is probably best to take a headlamp with you.
  • anyone running in the dark should wear high-viz clothes. If you feel there is adequate lighting I would still recommend something - even just a strip down your arms or around your waist that will light up if a vehicle is approaching. You never can be too careful. There are great products available these days.
  • it is best not to run on uneven or rocky terrain in the dark for fear of falling over and\ or seriously hurting yourself because you couldn't see where your foot was landing. If possible, it is probably best to stay on even ground - even a local sports ground will do if you don't have the option or desire to run along the streets.
  • some people recommend bringing your mobile phone and some ID with you. I have to admit that I never bring either with me. My phone would be too bulky and one of the things I have always liked about running is that you are getting away from texts, calls and emails. I have never even considered taking ID with me - where would I put it? I guess if you're running in a rural area or somewhere you aren't very familiar with, i.e. on holidays, it makes perfect sense.
  • wear lots of layers instead of one heavy item and keep your feet and hands well-protected. I hate wearing gloves, but my hands go blue running in the dead of winter; I guess despite the fact that you're moving, your hands aren't doing much.
  • if you have asthma, it may not be a good idea to run in the cold as the air can bring on attacks. Speak to your GP before setting out.
  • don't think that because you're not dripping in sweat or feeling thirsty, doesn't mean you don't need to stay hydrated. Drink the same amount as you usually would or wouldn't.
Any of you have any other tips to add to my short list above?

I think the only thing left for me to do is to get out and start this running I apparently love so much!! 

2 comments:

  1. I have a couple of safety tips for women running in the dark which might be obvious but here goes;
    - Be familiar with your surroundings and don't run in remote or lonely areas.
    - carry some kind of a whistle or small alarm that you can hold in your had or tie on your wrist is not a bad idea.
    - run with a buddy or group if at all possible.
    I have no suggestions for running in the cold, but fair play to you for doing it. Not sure I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To have the luxury of living in a place that never gets cold! Ah no, I genuinely do like it. Rain? Not so much! Yes, I think if you're running off-road or somewhere remote you are definitely better off with a friend or small group. I am lucky in that there are always people around where I run as the majority of it is susurban.

    Thanks for sharing tips :)

    ReplyDelete