Thursday 13 December 2012

Christmas Tips

(searchwallpaper.org)
It's upon us again. I don't know how it happens, but it doesn't seem like twelve full months since the last one! Anyway, there were reports last week that the average person consumes c. 6,000 calories on Christmas Day alone (recommended allowance is 2,000 for women and 2,500 for men). I'm not usually one for calorie counting to be honest, as I don't feel that all calories were born equally, but that is a shocking figure. If we are consuming three times as many calories, we are likely also taking in two or three times too many carbs, fats, saturated fats, etc. so I thought about how we might reduce this. I am a self-confessed glutton and find, once I have a routine, I can be very disciplined, but when surrounded by mincies, chocolates and Pringles it's a different story! Below are some tips on eating well over the Christmas period, especially Christmas Day, that I have gathered from various sources - Andy Kenny Fitness, Why Weight Ireland and a couple of others. And from my own head too. Here goes:

Christmas Day:

(iStockphoto.com)
  • Eat a proper breakfast. I know it sounds boring, but it sets you up for the day (like any other), and means you're less likely to jump at the chocolates, etc. Now having said that, I have never found a way to marry my Weetabix with my favourite selection box item - the Curly Wurly. Suggestions on a postcard please!
  • Dinner: Make a healthy vegetable-based soup for starter and have a big bowl. It will help to fill you. If you don't have time\ don't want to\ don't like soup try smoked salmon, prawns or a nice Caesar Salad instead. For your main course, focus on the meat and vegetables on your plate. They are full of protein and fibre and will fill you up for longer than other options. Try to limit (if you can't completely avoid) the spuds and stuffing. I can live without potatoes as I have never been a huge fan, but stuffing - not a chance! Remember as well, sweet potatoes are much better for us than the humble spud, so choose them for cooking\ eating.
  • Limit yourself to one desert. Hopefully, if you've filled up on a healthy starter and a main this will be easier. Personally, I don't like all Christmas deserts, but I'm a sucker for my mum's trifle and the mince pies. The latter are a favourite, and I can tell you that I am devastated to learn that the average pie has 250 calories. I am proud to say that I haven't had any yet... *weeping but triumphant*
  • If there is a tin of sweets knocking about, try not to over-indulge. Apparently each sweet has roughly 60 calories. Take a few and put the tin away; that way you will hopefully just forget about it as opposed to mindlessly munching. A few years ago I lived abroad and Christmas wasn't the celebration it is here. On my first Christmas home, I remember sitting on the living room floor scoffing the Roses. My dad told me I was being a glutton; I told him I was making up for lost Christmases!! Not a great excuse, but you'll always find one.
  • If you're having alcohol, wine is better (less calories) than beer or cider. A spritzer is even better, but with diluted calories, comes diluted taste in my opinion. I would rather one nice glass of wine than two spritzers, but everyone is different!
  • Don't make sandwiches with leftover turkey and ham in the evening; those extra carbs will send you over the edge and are completely unnecessary after little or no proper movement all day. I don't think anyone could possibly be hungry enough to eat sandwiches, but it seems to be a real Irish thing - use the leftovers and eat something 'healthy'!
  • I have never been hardcore enough to exercise on Christmas Day (or Christmas Eve or St. Stephen's Day!). I would imagine that the last time I did anything vaguely active was when Santa brought a bike about twenty years ago ;) I don't think it would go down too well at home if I wasn't there to help with the many preparations involved with Christmas dinner. I think a brisk walk in the evening is a nice idea. It will get the metabolism going, get some air in the lungs, which will help you sleep, and remove you from all that temptation for a while. After the day itself, I think it's acceptable to leave the nest to go for a quick run or cycle - weather permitting. Maybe one day though I'll swim the 40 Foot! Ha - who am I am kidding!
Yummmm... Enjoy!

The Festive Period:
The couple of weeks leading up to Christmas can just be debaucherous if they get out of hand. Last year, I found myself out every night for about three weeks and went back to work for a break! This year, I am living my learned lesson! It can feel like an endless stream of parties, nights out and get-togethers of various types. Routines are broken and lots of food and drink are available that wouldn't usually be. So, what to do?
  • When it comes to alcohol there are lots of tips and tricks. One of the best ones I heard is after a couple of beers, switch to a light version. You won't notice if you've had a few and calorie-wise, it will make a difference. There are the other obvious ones such as having soda water and lime or tonic in your spirits instead of sugary 'juices' or fizzy drinks. I am just learning to drive, so can't take advantage of this, but if you're going out, don't want to drink but know that there are pushy people where you're headed, just drive. Nobody will force a drink on you then. (If anyone does, that's a completely different issue...)
  • There is always finger food at Christmas events. It often looks and smells amazing. Usually doesn't taste as good. But we eat it unconsciously. I don't have any real tips here except just don't eat it. If you can, eat something healthy and filling before you go and that should ease the temptation. Stay strong!! 
  • If there are nibbles, or if you're hosting a party with nibbles, choose raw nuts instead of roasted or crisps. Don't use the dips as they are full of additives and saturated fats.
  • At this time of year, there are often tins of sweets in the workplace. See above. Take a couple and put them out of sight. Get back to work and don't think about them. At lunch, go for a walk around the block if possible, especially if you have over-indulged. Keep moving to keep the metabolism ticking over. It gets a real kicking at this time of year!
If you have any other tips, please share them below. We all need all the help we can get. 

Enjoy it all. Have a safe and happy Christmas, and a healthy and prosperous new year!

2 comments:

  1. Whilst I agree with your comments for 'the festive period', I don't seen anything wrong with washing down a selection box with some champagne for Christmas breakfast. It is once a year after all. What's the point in being good and exercising all year if you can't let you hair down a little at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everyone does exercise and behave themselves all year; that's part of the problem. They are just ideas anyway; I don't think we can adhere to all of them anyway, even if we want to!! Just a couple of ideas :)

    (Mmmmmm...selection box...)

    ReplyDelete