Friday 3 May 2013

TRX

FINALLY, I got round to trying TRX. It is increasingly popular and those I know who do it on a regular basis constantly harp on about its benefits. I was dying to try it, but alas college stood in the way! Now that's over, I have no more excuses and a lot more time so off I went. I loved it. I have terrible coordination though and was terrible at it! I found it frustrating as instructor had to approach me a couple of times to help me. She was very nice, but I was a bit embarrassed. I went to a beginners' class, and I think I'll be there for a while - I suppose I have to start somewhere! I can't wait to go back and get into it properly and based on my one class, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to improve strength and muscle definition. Lots of stretching afterwards and I could still feel it for a day or two afterwards. No harm in that though. I think this is my Wednesday evening workout :)

What is TRX?

I did not look like any of these people!

In a nutshell, TRX (Total body Resistance eXercise) is suspension training. First used by the US Navy SEALS, it uses bodyweight and gravity to develop strength, balance, flexibility and core stability - all at the same time! It uses the TRX Suspension Trainer, a specifically designed set of straps and handles that allow for bodyweight-based training. The tool is a deceptively simple device that allows the user to do hundreds of exercises with its adjustable levels. It can also be used to stretch and do yoga, but one of its best uses is in plyometrics - fast, explosive multiplanier and multi-joint movements. A TRX workout doesn't put strain or stress unecessarily on your body as it resistance-based, so it tends to be pretty injury-free whilst still being a fantastic all-body workout. The trx really is the "all-in-one" training tool it is so often lauded to be.

It can be difficult to get the hang of the idea without seeing it in action, so here's a video to help you visualise it.

Benefits

Apart from all the benefits mentioned above, TRX also claims to:
  • deliver a fast and effective full body workout;
  • help to build core strength. Remember that your core strength isn't just your abs; it includes you chest, back and pelvic muscles as well as others.;
  • increase muscular endurance;
  • benefit all fitness levels from professional athletes to you and me;
  • improve joint strength and health; and
  • help to prevent injuries by exercising in the same way you move everyday, i.e. fluidly, as opposed to static, or backward - forward only movements that most exercise regimes follow.
Have any of you tried TRX? As I'm new to it, please share your experiences with me - good and bad! Are you all "ripped" from it?! ;) Any tips to make me more proficient (my coordination really is bad!)? All comments welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Ailo, it is tough but the pros far out weight the small con of soreness, especially that wonderful sporty soreness. Might have to join you one evening. Niamho

    ReplyDelete